A hard-working, honest, dependable, self-motivated person to act as school caretaker/cleaner and school cleaning supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Opening and closing, unlocking and locking of school gates and buildings
- Open and close the school for evening use at times arranged by the Headteacher
- Un-setting and setting of school alarm system
- Overall security of the school premises including the locking of all windows, doors and gates.
- You may be called out at unsociable hours or at weekends to deal with security
Cleaning duties will include the following:
- To clean designated areas of the school to the highest possible standards
- Mopping and buffing hard floor surfaces
- Buffing and maintaining flooring in school hall and Gym
- Vacuuming carpeted areas
- Wiping, polishing, dusting of designated areas
- Spot cleaning of spillages
- Emptying and cleaning bins
- Cleaning of toilets and toilet areas, and replenishment of paper towels, toilet rolls and other disposables.
- Cleaning of internal glass, internal and external door glass and internal side of
- Cleaning of external windows at ground level as necessary
- Straightening furniture and general tidying up of designated areas
- Returning to school between shifts if required
- Upkeep and general care of the school
- Unlocking and re-locking bins in preparation for pick-up
- Ensuring that external rubbish is stored appropriately
- Sweep yards, pick up litter and be responsible for the removal of all debris from
- To empty internal communal rubbish bins daily and work with pupils and staff on recycling initiatives.
- Carrying out minor repairs to property, fixtures, fittings and equipment, which are not beyond the scope of an unskilled handyman.
- Drawing the attention of the appropriate authorities, via the Site Manager/School Business Manager, to any repairs or maintenance work, which is beyond the competence and responsibility of Caretaking staff.
- Directing workmen and contractors to the sites of repair and maintenance work and inspecting the work of contractors where there is a requirement to sign a satisfaction note.
- General porterage duties and moving of furniture
- Assisting teaching staff with simple tasks as requested
- Checking damage/security every morning on arrival at the premises
- Lettings as required - opening, closing and general duties
- Preparation of Hall for functions as required
- Receive and check goods and supplies and take them to the appropriate place for
- Ensure that all refuse is disposed of promptly and stored away from the main
- Routinely clean lamp shades and light diffusers (strip lights). The height limit is
- Ensure that clear passage is maintained on fire escape routes
- Test fire alarms weekly. Maintain test register
- Carry out periodic cleaning of all internal surfaces to a height of eleven feet from
- Report any defects of building, furniture, fittings and equipment to the Secretary
- Regular check of roofs for pooling, debris, plant growth etc.
- Regularly check and clean soffits, bargeboards and external lights
- Keep all hard surfaces free of moss and weeds
- Disinfect drains and dustbins regularly
- Make safe any hazards and ensure that the area is cordoned off
- Keep paths, entrances free of ice and snow to ensure the safety of children, parents, staff and visitors.
- Noting, monitoring and reporting any defects in the school buildings to the
- Meet regularly with the Facilities Manager & School Business Manager re: Health and Safety issues and Building Maintenance
- Heating, Lighting and Water
- The switching off of all lights and appropriate electric plug sockets
- Ensure that all lights and heating are working effectively
- Read Gas, Electric and Water metres as required
- Monitoring and setting of heating controls and boilers
- Be aware of the location of all stopcocks, gas and electricity meters and read meters as required.
- Ensure that the boiler house is tidy and that no flammable material is stored there
- Using appropriate PPE, replace, repair fluorescent tube starters and fluorescent tubes up to a height of eleven feet.
- Any other work requested by, and deemed appropriate by, the Facilities Manager and Head Teacher by agreement with the caretaker.